17 June, 2015

Success - the inside job

Success - the inside job

I came across this quote from Dr Wayne Dyer:
“Success is an inside job.  Being relaxed, at peace with yourself, confident, loose, and free floating – these are the keys to successful performance in almost everything you do.”
When was the last time you felt this good about yourself?  What were you doing, what were you being, who were you with?
This elusive state flitters in and out of my life.  
The more mindful activities I do the more peace I gain. 
Recently I reconnected with an old client and worked on an innovative strategy together.  Initially I felt a little nervous with the re-connection, but I let go and allowed the interchange and creativity to flow and then the magic happened. Release any sabotaging thoughts with peace and trusting yourself is a big part of personal success.  The magical part is, that it is in your control, no one can do this for you.
I coached an amazing lady who everyone else believed in except for herself. Her internal dialogue was consistently non-supportive, critical and cautious to a fault. Becoming aware of her own internal dialogue and choosing to quiet her inner critic and replace it with her inner wise advocate made all the difference to her own perception of success.
Why are so many of us not the Captains of our Soul?  Why are we so focused on external validation, feedback? Why don’t we value ourselves enough to work on ourselves inside-out?
Another quote I came across recently was:
“Be your own best friend.”
This quote screamed out to me. I have for most of my life focused on being friends to others and seeking external friendships above being a friend to myself.  What does being your own best friend mean?  For me it means being kind to yourself, improving yourself, listening and advising yourself, healing yourself, challenging yourself, having fun with yourself, taking care of your mind, body and soul and loving yourself first.  It is liberating being your own best friend, you are always around to listen, and you have your best interests at heart.  You are free from the entanglements and projection of others and you are super comfortable in your own skin.
A couple of tips to work on the inside job:
-Spend time alone
-Reflect your thoughts in a Journal
-Do things that make yourself happy and joyful
-Meditate
-Physical exercise – yoga, dancing, gym whatever exercise you enjoy the most
-Be your own wise advocate
When I first met my husband in 1989 I asked him what he thought was the purpose of life, he replied “to have fun”.  At the time I was too naïve to appreciate the wisdom in his view.  Life will continue to be a roller coaster ride but keep perspective and seek out the fun.
“I will live this day as if it is my last.  This day is all I have and these hours are my eternity.  I greet this sunrise with joy as a prisoner who is reprieved from death. I lift mine arms with thanks for this priceless gift of a new day” – Og Mandino
Be your own best friend today and find your peace of mind, today is all we have – make it all you can be.

No comments: